Shakira: “One day I'm going to help these kids when I become a famous artist.”
Shakira Isabel MebarakRipol, a successful, influential Columbian singer, composer, dancer and music producer, is a popular name to many people. The endeavor, devotion and determination she makes, have been recognized by millions of fans and a wide range of achievements, but many people still scratch their heads as being asked where the mega star gets them from. One of the answers lies in the words that Shakira said when her father took her to a local park in Barranquilla to visit the orphans there. The images of the unlucky children stayed in her mind and she promised: “one day I’m going to help these kids when I become a famous artist”. Surprisingly, the innocent but sincere words of a 4 year old girl have pushed her through many challenges in life and made her wishes come true.
On the path of becoming an illustrious diva, Shakira has confronted with countless failures but she never takes “no” for the answers. Entered to the entertainment world in 1990 at the age of 13, Shakira’s beginning was gloomy as two first albums, “Magia” and “Peligro”, did not reach the commercial success with 1,200 copies sold around the globe. After that, the young singer had to grapple with range of obstacles in the following years. In 2001, there was a big transaction in her singing when Shakira decided to release the first English album “ Laundry Service” on November 13. Although the debut was a great success that it reached the number three in U.S Billboard 200 Chart selling around 200,000 copies in the first week of release, she met the backlash from some critics reprehended her English skills were not strong enough to come up with the lyrics and pointing out “she sounds downright silly” or “Shakira’s magic is lost in translation”. Meanwhile, she was supposed to be highly reprehensible under the view of her Latin fans as they put it that their Latin singer abandoned her music roots in chase of American. It was considered to be one of the worst times that the diva ever suffered from. 8 years later, the name Shakira was internationally admired by a huge number of fan but the hurdles were never far from her career as once again the sales of her album was pretty low. In October 2009, the release of new album “She Wolf” was believed to draw the interest of large number of audience. In fact, the album managed to sell out 89,000 copies during the first week in U.S alone. So far, it has been sold for only 300,000 records in U.S. This is believed to be the lowest in selling her album and it leaves behind some of the lessons that Shakira never forgets.
These failures, however, were not strong enough to lay Shakira down when the fire of good will was burning her heart all the time.By having a look at her achievements, people can easily see a long list of awards and impressive numbers. From 1995 to 2000, Shakira made a great progress resulted in the successful albums like the third studio album “ Pies Descalzos” reached the peak position in different countries and number five on the U.S Billboard Top Latin Albums chart or the fourth studio album debuted in 1998 hit the top spot on U.S Latin Albums for several weeks along with seven millionrecords sold worldwide and 1.5 million copies in U.S. A year later, the name Shakira was called out for Grammy Award nomination for the best Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album. But that was not enough; Shakira went for her second and third Grammy Award in the following year, 2001, nominated in five categories: Album of the year, Best Pop Vocal Album, Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Short Form Music Video. One of the biggest changes in Shakira’s singing career was the moment she started to launch her albums in English. Although the first English one did not make a huge success as she expected, many more people got to know the Columbian singer for her seventh studio album called “Oral Fixation” in 2005. Immediately, the album became a hit with more than 8 million copies worldwide and 1.8 million copies in the U.S. The year 2007 was beautifully marked by the domination of the songs “Beautiful Liar” in which Shakira collaborated with a famous American singer Beyouncé, the song placed the third on Billboard Hot 100 chart and brought them one Grammy Award nomination for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals. During this year she also collaborated with other celebrities like Wyclef Jean for the song “King and Queen” or 23 famous female singers for the song “Sing”. Notably, the song “WakaWaka” she performed for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa has strike the hearts of millions of people from all continents by its tones and fabulous tradition Brazilian dance style, Samba. The single soon became the top 20 songs in Europe and top 40 in U.S and the most popular World Cup song of all time with more than 1.2 billion views on Youtube. In late 2010, the ninth Shakira album, “ Sale el Sol” and the world tour “ The Sun Comes Out World Tour” were considered to be hugely successful. From 2011 until now, Shakira is still a big name in the entertainment world whose songs captivate the attention of millions of people, for example the song “La LaLa” she performed at the 2014 FIFA World Cup has attracted more than 750 million views on Youtube. Furthermore, her appearance in the singing competition “The Voice” in fourth and sixth seasons received the big ovation from the audience. Now, Shakira is planning a wave of music projects and new albums that an immense number of fan is waiting to savor.
Over the course of her career, Shakira has taken part in many charitable deeds. In 1997, she founded the Pies Descalzos Foundation aimed to bring the opportunities for nearly six thousand poor children throughout Colombia to go to schools. Now the foundation is expanding to other areas like Haiti or South Africa. In 2006, Shakira founded another charitable organization called ALAS in hope of helping the pregnant women and new born babies in Panama. In October 2011, she was recognized as a member of President Obama’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. The singer’s foundation also collaborated with FC Barcelona Foundation to support the children education through sport. Particularly, she donated around 10,000 pairs of tennis shoes for the impoverished children in Barranquilla. For many years, Shakira has served as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador participating in wide variety of international projects in support of the needy and the poor. It can be said that, the dream of the child named Shakira has now become the truth and continuously bloomed.
Shakira Isabel MebarakRipol is supposed to be the embodiment of a successful person who reminds us about dreams and success is feasible if our aspiration is strong, our will is firm and our heart is warm enough. And another important thing is “you can’t achieve anything in life without a small amount of sacrifice” said by Shakira.
Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
EducationShakira went to La Ensenanza School, Barranquilla and other Catholic schools. Later, at UCLA Extensions, she attended a summer class and studied courses on History of Western Civilization.
OccupationSinger, Songwriter, Dancer, Model, Choreographer, Record Producer
- Father – William Mebarak Chadid
- Mother – Nidia Ripoll
- Siblings – None
She has 8 older half-siblings due to her father’s earlier marriages.
Shakira is signed with these agencies –
- Roc Nation
- Richard De La Font
Pop, Latin pop, folk, rock en español, dance, world
Vocals, percussion, guitar, drums, harmonica
Columbia, Epic, Live Nation, RCA Records, Sony Music Latin
Boyfriend / Spouse
- Antonio de la Rúa (2000-2011) – In 2000, Shakira started dating Antonio (is a Lawyer and Oldest son of former Argentine President Fernando De la Rúa) and this relationship went long for 11 years. Antonio proposed Shakira in March, 2001 and they started living together as married couples. But, this relationship also saw an end on August 2010. This separation was told by Shakira on January 10, 2011.
- Gerard Pique (2011-Present) – On March 29, 2011 Shakira told about her new boyfriend via Twitter, who is a Spanish footballer and plays at centre back for FC Barcelona. On January 22, 2013, Shakira gave birth to a baby boy, named Milan Piqué Mebarak in Barcelona, Spain where they live. Later, on January 29, 2015, the couple welcomed second child, son Sasha Piqué i Mebarak.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Lebanese ancestry on her dad’s side while she is of Italian and Spanish descent on her mom’s side.
- Curly hair
Reebok (2002), Panasonic (2007), Crest (2013), Oral B (2013), etc.
Best Known For
Her dancing hips, belly dancing and 2000s hit “Hips Don’t Lie”.
Magia was released on June 24, 1991 but recorded in 1990 (When, she was 13 years old) with Sony Music Colombia.
1996 film El Oasis for her role as Luisa Maria.
Shakira Favorite Things
- Favorite Food – Pancakes with Jam
- Favorite TV Programs – Scrubs (2001-2010), It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005)
- Favorite Animal – Horse
- Favorite Band – U2, The Police
- Favorite Latin Band – Soda Stereo
- Favorite Music Type – Merengue
- Favorite Actor – Hugh Grant
- Favorite Color – Black
- Favorite Flowers – Daisy and Sunflower
- Favorite Sport – Skateboarding and Frisbee
- Favorite Author – Oriana Fallaci
- Favorite Book – The Prophet (Khalil Gibran)
- Favorite Perfume – Issey Miyake Perfumes
- Favorite Sweets – Chocolate balls
- Favorite Fruit – Mango
- Favorite Song – With or Without You (U2)
My team and I have reunited two elements that coexist with difficulty: respect and affection, because when they love you they don't respect you and when they respect you they don't love you.
You can't achieve anything in life without a small amount of sacrifice.
I was five years old; I got addicted to being on stage. I felt like it was the most wonderful place on Earth, performing in front of an audience, who in this case were a bunch of classmates, kids my age.
Sensual is everything that refers to the delight of the senses. And that's what artists do, is stimulate the senses in any possible way.
I pefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. If someone is telling me the truth that is when I will give my heart.
Facts about Shakira
- She owns homes in the Bahamas; Miami; Barranquilla, Colombia; and Barcelona, Spain.
- Shakira is 5′ 2″, while Pique is 6′ 4″.
- Returned to work two months after giving birth to her son Milan in order to begin coaching on "The Voice".
- Shakira revealed in March 2011 that she is in a relationship with Spanish footballer Gerard Pique, who is ten years her junior. Shakira and Gerard Pique share the same birthday, February 2nd. The couple welcomed their baby boy Milan to the world on January 22, 2013.
- Shakira met Gerard Pique in 2010 when he appeared in her video for "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", the official song of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- Shakira received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2011.
- Shakira was invited to The White House by President Obama in 2010 to discuss early childhood development and in 2011 was appointed as a member of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
- She has made cameo appearances on Ugly Betty and Wizards of Waverly Place, both times playing herself.
- Her record label Sony maintsays Shakira is the biggest selling Colombian artist of all time, with sales between 50 to 60 million albums.
- She is not fond of wearing jewelry.