Selena Gomez–“Everything is not what it seems”
Selena Gomez who is known for her acting performances in Disney series “Wizards of Waverly Place" is now on many tabloid headlines. Readers are attracted by the fancy clothes that she wears, the person who she meets up with, the news get people to think this teenage wizard is leading such a perfect life; however, due to the large amount of stress she faced, Selena’s life turn out to be not so pleasant, just like of her songs: “everything is not what it seems”.
Selena was once stressed out when people accusing her of leaving Disney, the place which nurtured her dreams. Despite debuting as a member of “Barney and friends” series, not many people gave Selena Gomez attention at the time. It was not until Disney gave Selena Gomez one of the main roles in “Wizard of Waverly Place” (a Disney movie about a teenager wizard) did she become a star. Many people would have believed Selena would stay in Disney since this place had made her famous. However, she decided to leave Disney to pursue another dream of hers: singing. Many individuals felt shocked when Selena left Disney and turned their back on her for abandoning Disney, nevertheless, the fact that Selena left Disney was predicted. In the audition of channel Disney, responding for the question about what she wanted to do when she grew up, Selena said “Well, I'm trying to get into my singing career and my acting career... But, I want to do that when I'm older, I want to do both. Like Britney.” It is obvious that this twenty-four girl now has achieved her goal. She is the owner of a number of awards and nominations for her work as an actress and singer, and has won an ALMA Award, a Billboard Women in Music award, a MTV Video Music Award, an American Music Award, a People's Choice Award, two Young Hollywood Awards, and fifteen Teen Choice Awards. She has come a long way from Disney rising star to the best female artist of 2016 American Music Awards.
Apart from the stress coming from her work life, Selena also has to suffer a great deal of problems from her personal life. Firstly, Selena’s childhood was not as smooth as others because of her parents’ break-up. She had a tough time to go through since she expected to have a family with both mom and dad. She even blamed her mother for breaking up with her dad; she said, quote: “I blamed my mom a lot … because I wanted a family so bad. I wanted to have my dad and my mom together. So it was really hard”. Selena has lived with her mother ever since. She and her mother had to search for every quarter just to get fuel for their car, and go to one dollar store to purchase their dinner. Living through the circumstance, Selena started to show compassion towards her mother: “[My mom] was really strong around me. Having me at 16 had to have been a big responsibility. She gave up everything for me, had three jobs, supported me sacrificed her life for me." Up until now, Selena have always felt greatful to have her mother by her side every step of the way.Secondly, this twenty-four-year-old girl clearly had a struggling love with Justin Bieber, a pop singer. This couple has been on and off for years.Despite a great deal of disapprovals from their fans and even their parents about their relationship, Selena and Justin (a.k.a Jelena – their couple name claimed by fans) still developed their love strongly. They both described each other as “first real love”. However, the couple had many fights over the fact that Justin Bieber was a womanizer. The couple officially broke up in 2015, which was a controversial issue back in the day. Many people believed that Selena would have a severe breakdown since Selena had gone through two harsh break ups: her parents, and her own. Nevertheless, Selena still stood tall like nothing could bring her down.
Selena’s life could not get any more difficult when now she is suffering from Lupus which, according to Wikipedia, is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints, and/or organs inside the body). After being diagnosed, depression hit Selena really hard. She has tried many ways to bring herself out of anxiety. Despite the fact that she was sick, she did not want her fans to worry about her. She planned a tour called “Revival tour” to show her fans that she was still fine. However, the tour got cancelled due to her physical condition. Answering Peopleabout the reason the tour got called off, Selena said: "I've discovered that anxiety, panic attacks and depression can be side effects of lupus, which can present their own challenges. I want to be proactive and focus on maintaining my health and happiness and have decided that the best way forward is to take some time off. Thank you to all my fans for your support. You know how special you are to me, but I need to face this head on to ensure I am doing everything possible to be my best. I know I am not alone by sharing this, I hope others will be encouraged to address their own issues." With supports from fans, Selena is now recovering from stress and depression. In 2016 American Music Award held in 21 November, 2016, Selena gave a moving speech on how to live with anxiety and how to break free from depression. The speech was praised by many individuals, even celebrities such as Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift, on social network sites. At the end of her speech, Selena, once again, thanked her fans for staying with her through tough time: “And I have to say thank you so much to my fans because you guys are so damn loyal, and I don't know what I did to deserve you. If you are broken, you don't have to stay broken."
Selena Gomez appears to the public as a fragile girl; however, after knowing the obtacles Selena has to go through, people cannot help admiring this strong, independent twenty-four-year-old girl.
Selena Marie Gomez
Sel, Selly, Selenita, Conchita, Mamachita, See
Selena attended Danny Jones Middle School, Texas, USA but faced the problem of bullying (like many other popular celebs) daily in the school. So, she was mainly homeschooled. In May 2010, she received her high school diploma via homeschooling.
Actress, Pop Singer and Fashion Designer
- Father – Ricardo Joel Gomez, Brian Teefey (Stepfather)
- Mother – Amanda Dawn “Mandy” Teefey (née Cornett) (Former stage actress)
- Siblings – Gracie Elliot Teefey (Half Sister), Scarlett Teefey (Half Sister) (Deceased Sister), Tori Gomez (Half Sister)
Dance, pop, electropop, pop rock, dubstep
Hollywood Records, Interscope Records
Boyfriend / Spouse
Selena Gomez dated –
- Justin Bieber – Canadian singer, Justin Bieber and Selena first started dating in November 2010 (however, their dating news started hitting the tabloids in January 2011) and continued dating until November 2012. After splitting from each other in late 2012, they reconciled again in April 2013 and remained together for two months upto June 2013. They are now RUMORed to be dating once again, as of early 2014.
- Romeo Miller (2013) – RUMOR
- Austin Mahone (2014) – Selena dated singer Austin Mahone, who is younger than her. Taylor Swift, Selena’s best friend has served as the matchmaker this time. As per US Weekly, the two singers are dating since January 29, 2014. According to Austin, he is just friends with Selena.
- Orlando Bloom (2014) – RUMOR
- Tommaso Chiabra (2014) – In July 2014, she had fling with Italian businessman Tommaso Chiabra. She was in Saint-Tropez, France with her friend Cara Delevingne. More information at NYDailyNews.com.
- Zedd (2015) – Selena and German DJ Zedd were RUMORed to have dated from January 2015 to April 2015. The duo first met at a recording studio in Los Angeles. After that, they were seen together at multiple locations including Golden Globes 2015 party holding each other’s hands.
- Charlie Puth (2015) – After singer Charlie Puth mentioned about Selena Gomez’s album on Twitter, it sparked RUMORs of their dating together.
- Samuel Krost (2015) – She was RUMORed to had fling with Samuel Krost when they were seen holding hands of each other in New York City on November 9, 2015.
- Niall Horan (2015) – One Direction’s Niall Horan sparked dating RUMORs with Selena when they were seen partying together several times.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Mexican ancestry on her father’s side and Italian ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Baby face
- Thick hair
Sears, UNICEF, Adidas, Eco, Adrenalina (perfume company), Pantene,
She has appeared in TV commercials for Borden Milk in 2009.
Best Known For
Her portrayal of Alex Russo on the Disney Channel Original Series ‘Wizards of Waverly Place’ and of course for her ongoing singing career.
- Solo – Gomez released her debut studio album “Stars Dance” on July 19, 2013 via Hollywood Records. This is her first solo album and fourth overall (as she released first three albums under the band). It received mixed reviews and consists of 11 singles to make it of a total length of almost 39 minutes. It charted at number 1 at US Billboard 200.
- Under the band name Selena Gomez & the Scene – “Kiss & Tell” was released on September 29, 2009 by the teen pop band “Selena Gomez & the Scene”, formed by Selena Gomez.
First TV Show
Selena appeared in children’s TV series, Barney & Friends from 2002 to 2003 as Gianna. She had recurring roles in season 7 and season 8.
Gomez appeared in 2003 film Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over for her role as Waterpark Girl.
She does eat a balanced diet.
Selena Gomez Favorite Things
- Favorite Food – Pickles, Pizza with jalapeño and mushrooms, Mango
- Favorite TV Programs – Wizards Of Waverly Place (2007-2012), Hannah Montana (2006-2011), Shake it up (2010), Friends (1994-2004)
- Favorite Actress – Rachel McAdams
- Favorite Movies – Titanic (1997), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Howl’s Moving Castle (2004), Spirited Away (2001)
- Favorite Actor – Johnny Depp
- Favorite Number – 2
- Favorite Animal – Dog
- Favorite Band – Paramore
- Favorite Color – Green
- Favorite Ice-Cream – Rocky Road
- Favorite Horror Movies – Halloween (2007), I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
- Favorite Songs – Baby One More Time (Britney Spears), Party Rock Anthem (LMFAO), What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction in 2012)
- Favorite Restaurant – Maggiano’s Little Italy, Los Angeles, USA
- Favorite Accessories – Bracelets, Earrings, Shoes
- Favorite People – Shia LaBeouf, Lady Sovereign, Justin Bieber (maybe not now)
- Favorite Idol – Britney Spears
- Favorite Places – Malaysia, Hawaii, Paris
- Favorite Candy – Snickers Bars, Good & Plenty Candy
- Favorite Clothing Company – Urban Outfitters and American Apparel
- Favorite Island – Tropical Island of Puerto Rico
- Favorite Perfume – Frilly Lily
- Favorite Drink – Pickle Juice (She has been told by other people that she is weird and disgusting about her favorite drink)
Selena Gomez Quotes
I don't like hiding. I do like to keep certain things to myself, but at the end of the day, I'm eighteen, and I'm going to fall in love.
I've learned that I want what I deny. I want someone who is crazy about me, who treats me like a princess. I want the picture-perfect fairy tale stuff.
I want someone honest, someone who's very sweet to my family and friends, and polite to the other.
You can't shut down. You can't say, 'What can I do to make this go away?' You have to let it be painful and get through it. Every day gets better. Because when you're in love, you kind of give everything and make that person your life. So every day, you get more and more of yourself back, and it feels better.
I'm a kid, and a breakup is normal. I have to go through the emotions and feel it out.
Selena Gomez News
Together again! Disney costars Selena Gomez and David Henrie reunite in Selena's very first Instagram Story
Facts about Selena Gomez
- She has worked with the charity called 'Raise Hope for Congo' which helps raise awareness about the violence against Congolese women.
- She won the MTV Video Music Award in the category Best Pop Video for "Come and Get It" in 2013.
- Selena’s net worth is reported to be around $10 million.
- In 2011, Gomez and teenage pop star Justin Bieber confirmed they were an item. The couple was dubbed "Jelena" by the media, and were noted as being a teen power couple. They made their first public appearance at the Vanity Fair Oscar party in February of 2011. Justin Bieber booked the entire Staples Center in L.A. for a screening of the movie Titanic... just for the two of them, in 2011. The couple have been on and off. They broke up in 2013, but recent media reports from TMZ (January 8, 2014) say the couple were spotted camping suggesting they might still be an item.
- Selena’s clothing line “Dream Out Loud” launched on July 15, 2010.
- In 2009, Gomez actually became the youngest UNICEF Ambassador in the history of the organization.
- Selena likes hip-hop and punk music. Selena is an avid surfer and skater.
- Selena used to wear a purity ring that said “true love waits,” but it has since disappeared from her finger once she started dating Justin Bieber.
- Gomez is good friends with fellow pop singer Taylor Swift.
- Selena Gomez protects her voice by drinking olive oil!