Television host and producer who was named the most influential woman in the world by TIME magazine and hosted The Oprah Winfrey Show, the highest-rated syndicated program on air, from 1986 to 2011.
She became the world's first female black billionaire and the richest self-made American woman. She had a net worth of $2.9 billion in 2013.
She introduced health expert Mehmet Oz to countless viewers on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
She was raped at age nine, and when she was fourteen, had a child that died. She was crowned Miss Black Tennessee while in college and began co-anchoring the evening news when she was nineteen.
She began a relationship with Stedman Graham in 1986.
Born NameOprah Gail Winfrey
Nick NameOprah, O (Title of her world famous magazine too), The Preacher
EducationOprah learned to read from her grandmother before she was 3. She started her schooling from Lincoln High School and then moved to Nicolet High School after success in Upward Bound program. She finished her schooling at East Nashville High School, after she moved to live with her father at Nashville. She finished her education reading communication at Tennessee State University as a scholar student after winning an oratory contest.
OccupationAmerican media proprietor, Actress, Activist, Author, Journalist, Philanthropist, Producer, Spokeswoman and Talk Show Host.
- Oprah Winfrey was born to single teenage mother.
- Father – Vernon Winfrey (War Veteran)
- Mother – Vernita Lee (Housemaid)
- Siblings – Patricia Lee Lloyd (Half Sister), Patricia Lofton (Half Sister), Jeffrey Lee (Half Brother)
- Grandmother – Hatti Mae Lee
- Oprah is her mother’s first child.
ManagerPeter Adamson, former Chief Investment Officer for billionaire Eli Broad, is the manager for her fortune.
GenreOprah Winfrey’s genre range varies from Talk show to Reality TV and continues to documentary as she got people’s attention mostly because of her work on TV shows.
InstrumentsAlthough Oprah doesn’t really plays an instrument, but people says that she is the one who knows the proper use of a MIC!
Race / EthnicityBlack
Brand EndorsementsOprah Winfrey has herself emerged as a brand in United States. She is the owner of ‘The Oprah Brand’. When recession hit the world, she launched ‘Oprah Organics’, ‘Oprah Harvests’ and ‘Oprah’s Farm’ trademarks under her brand. Oprah’s product list comprises salad dressing, frozen vegetables, massage oils, skin care products and hair sprays. She owns a publishing house through which she launches her magazine ‘O’. She have a website named after her ‘Oprah.com’. In 2006, she revealed her plans for her own radio channel ‘Oprah Radio’ by signing 3 year deal with XM Satellite Radio. In all, her net worth is around 2.7 billion dollars.,She also promotes Weight Watchers diet programme as she has invested heavily in the brand.
Best Known ForThe Oprah Winfrey Show that ran nationally for almost 25 years (1986-2011).
First TV ShowPeople are talking, Channel WJZ’s local talk show. She was a co-host with Richard Sher.
First FilmThe Color Purple, by Steven Spielberg. She was a co-star playing the role of distraught housewife, Sofia.
- Oprah announces her favorite things every year. This year her favorite things are –
- Favorite soap – Lafco New York
- Favorite Gym Machine – Octane Fitness Q37ci Elliptical Trainer
- And many more. The complete list is available on her website.
Oprah Winfrey Quotes
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.
Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.
I don't think of myself as a poor deprived ghetto girl who made good. I think of myself as somebody who from an early age knew I was responsible for myself, and I had to make good.
I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an on-going process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life.
Oprah Winfrey News
Facts about Oprah Winfrey
- March 2016 - Forbes, in its annual list of the world's billionaires, estimates Winfrey's net worth at $3 billion.
- January 15, 2015 - The film "Selma," in which Winfrey costars, is nominated for an Academy Award for best picture. October 19, 2015 - Winfrey and Weight Watchers announce a partnership in which Winfrey is buying a 10% stake in the company and taking a seat on its board of directors.
- June 26, 2013 - Regains #1 spot for Forbes' World's Most Powerful Celebrities. November 20, 2013 - Is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.
- January 1, 2011 - OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network debuts. November 12, 2011 - Winfrey receives an honorary Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- December 5, 2010 - Winfrey is honored at the Kennedy Center as part of the 33rd annual Kennedy Center Honors gala.
- November 20, 2009 - Announces on her show that she will discontinue her talk show on September 9, 2011. She will then move to California and launch OWN. January 1, 2012 - Winfrey's new show, "Oprah's Next Chapter," debuts on the OWN network.
- January 15, 2008 - Winfrey and Discovery Communications announce that beginning in 2009 the Discovery Health Channel will be renamed OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network.
- January 2, 2007 - The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls opens in Henley-on-Klip, South Africa. The school houses 152 girls from deprived backgrounds and provides them with an education. Winfrey has reportedly spent $40 million dollars opening the school. September 8, 2007 - Hosts a fundraiser for presidential hopeful Barack Obama at her California home. October 2007 - NBC buys the Oxygen Network for $925 million.
- February 9, 2006 - XM Satellite Radio announces that it has signed a three-year deal with Winfrey worth $55 million. "Oprah and Friends" begins broadcasting in September 2006.
- September 26, 2005 - Winfrey announces that she is investing more than $1 million to bring the musical "The Color Purple" to Broadway in December 2005.