Ellen DeGeneres – Laughter Over Tragedy
Mentioning about Ellen, many people would immediately look down their underwear. However, audience knows about Ellen DeGeneres more than just an underwear brand. The 36 year-old mega star is prominently noticed as an American comedian, TV presenter, actress, author and producer. Her success has been marked by numerous achievements and awards which noticeably include 29 Emmy Awards, 17 People’s Choice Awards and recently the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama. Nonetheless, to reach this massive success, Ellen has grappled with a range of apparently insurmountable hurdles, and her key to get over these challenges is believed to be her laughter over the tragic moments.
“Laugh. Laugh as much as you can. Laugh until you cry. Cry until you laugh...” said Ellen. Back in time, most of memories in Ellen’s childhood were just nightmares and phobias of separation and dejection. When being a teenager, she suffered from the collapse of family as her parents got divorced. Then, she lived with her mother and witnessed lines of tears on the mother’s gloomy face many times. In these moments, DeGeneres believed that the only way to turn her mother on was comedy, hence funny stories from Ellen were created that made the mother could not help from laughing. This was also the first time that the young girl came to realize how miraculous and powerful the smile was. This urged Ellen to chase the dream of being a comedian as she embarked to perform comedy in small coffee shops or clubs while studying at New Orleans University. Years later, her effort was rendered when being invited to “The Tonight Show” and became well-known after that. However, the twists and turns were never far from her career which she underwent 3 years of unemployment. Culminated in stand – up career in 1986, the celebrity of Ellen DeGeneres totally collapsed after she admitted to be lesbian on air. Described by current newspapers, she was the first star to concede authentic gender on live television resulted in several years of failures and storm of criticism. This would be nightmarish to Ellen but not strong enough to lay her down. Nevertheless, she made a big move to the screen, starring a woman in search of perfect man in the comedy “Mr. Wrong” in 1996 and a wave of comedies later. Whenever appearing on stage, Ellen impressed audience with a jolly face and her laugh tracks.
Viewed from another angle, the funny words from Ellen’s lips are supposed to be the mental treatment helping people to forget their own tragedies. DeGeneres received a standing-ovation when she hosted the program of Emmy Awards. As the September 11 attacks left a huge pain and sorrow for whole America, the show required the presenter to blur that bleak picture. Ellen came to the show and drove audience in the way that no one anticipated enjoying with laugh and comfort as she said “What would bug the Taliban more than seeing a gay woman in a suit surrounded by Jews”. In August 2005, three weeks after Hurricane Katrina, the name Ellen DeGeneres once again became the reassurance of attenders in the Emmys following an American tragedy. Regis Philbin once humorously said “the only complaint was there’s not enough Ellen”. Besides, “The Ellen Show” has become universal to audience throughout the world, not only in America. With more than hundreds of episodes, the viewers can always savor the moment with a wide variety of games or hilarious segments like “You posted That on Facebook?”, “Epic or Fail”, “Never Have I Ever” or the crazy but fascinating experiments, the hidden guests or her nonstop scaring pranks. Especially, Ellen’s helping out with homework appeals audience a lot due to the unexpected answers that “professor” Ellen gives. For example, when a student sent a question about why her teacher said that Ellen choice was not relevant for the legacy and leadership topic, Ellen reacted hilariously with the words: Unbelievable! I would like to know your teacher name. Actually, no, it’s not relevant I don’t need it”. She continued “How about 34 million Twitter followers? And 14 People’s Choice Awards, how about that? 27 Emmy Awards how about that? ...”. It can be seen that Ellen does not only entertain herself but also brings the satisfaction of joy for others by her words, her acts and her crazy moments.
Ellen DeGeneres is the embodiment of a long – shot that she comprehends the importance of laughter as well as the true value of comedy as she believes “most comedy is based on getting a laugh at somebody else's expense. And I find that that's just a form of bullying in a major way. So I want to be an example that you can be funny and be kind, and make people laugh without hurting somebody else's feelings”.
Ellen Lee DeGeneres
Ellen Degeneres, Alde
Ellen DeGeneres attended Grace King High School in Metairie, Louisiana for one year. She shifted to and graduated from Atlanta High School in May 1976.,DeGeneres came back to New Orleans after her high school graduation. She intended to graduate from the University of New Orleans with a major in communication studies. However, she left school after only one semester to earn money through her clerical job at a law firm.
Comedian, Television host, Actress, Writer, Producer
- Father – Elliott Everett DeGeneres (Insurance Agent)
- Mother – Elizabeth Jane “Betty” Pfeffer (Speech Therapist)
- Siblings – Vance DeGeneres (Musician and Producer) (Older Brother)
- Others – Roy Gruessendorf (Salesman) (Stepfather)
Ellen DeGeneres is currently attached to ICM Partners (Talent and Literary Agency), Los Angeles, US.
Girlfriend / Spouse
- Ellen DeGeneres has been romantically linked with –
- Teresa Boyd (1995) – The production manager at 5 Points Production, Teresa Boyd had dated the comedian and actress in 1995 for a short span.
- Anne Heche (1997-2000) – The actress had started dating DeGeneres in the year 1997 which garnered a widespread media interest owing to the same sex-relationship issue. They separated in August 2000.
- Alexandra Hedison (2001-2004) – DeGeneres started dating the photographer, director and actress, Hedison in 2001, who is also a lesbian by sexuality. However, after three years of dating, the couple separated in 2004.
- Portia de Rossi (2004 – Present) – The Australian actress, model and philanthropist, Portia de Rossi and DeGeneres started dating each other in 2004. The couple got married on August 16, 2008, just a few months after the overturn of the same-sex marriage ban in California. However, their marriage got legalized since they got their marriage registration done before November 4, 2008.
Race / Ethnicity
White,She has French, English, German, and Irish ancestry.
- Short Hair
- Stand-up comic sense
- Always wears pants and sneakers
Ellen DeGeneres has appeared in a number of commercials over the years during her career in Hollywood. She first appeared in the TV commercial of US West Communications (now Qwest) in 1987.,Later, she was featured in TV commercials and voiceover for American Express credit card (2004), both TV and radio commercials for XM satellite radio (2005), TV commercial for Popeye’s chicken, American Express’ Members Project (2007), Covergirl’s Simply Ageless makeup (2009) and “6 AM Sale” and “Coupons in the Old West” for JC Penney (2012).,The actress and TV host has also been seen in the Public Service Announcement (PSA) for The ONE Campaign in 2005.,She has appeared in print ads for American Greetings’ “Cards By Ellen” line of greeting cards (2007), Wyeth’s Advil and Advil PM pain relievers and their Life List contest (2008), Olay’s Simply Ageless makeup (2009-2012), Glaceau Vitamin Water Zero (2010) and Covergirl + Olay’s Tone Rehab 2-in-1 Foundation (2012).,She is the advertising spokesperson for JC Penney.,DeGeneres represents her own line of products on QVC, a home shopping network.
Christian Scientist, but has recently dubbed herself as non-religious.
Best Known For
Ellen DeGeneres is best known for hosting the TV talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show which is airing since 2003.,Earlier, she had been known for her role in popular sitcom Ellen (1994-1998).
Ellen DeGeneres appeared in a short film in 1990 known as Arduous Moon as herself.,Her first role on the big screen was as coach in the science fiction comedy film Coneheads (1993).
First TV Show
Ellen DeGeneres first appeared on the small screen in 1989 when she appeared in two episodes of Open House (Irish Series) as Margo Van Meter. The series is the spin-off of the Fox series called Duet (1987-1989).
- Car – Porsche
- Possession – Nak Armstrong Wedding Ring
- Accessory – Vintage Gold Ray Ban Aviators
- Designer – Axel Vervoordt
- Shoes – Saint Laurent Tennis Shoes
- Décor – Petite Chérie Annick Goutal Candles
- Watch – Rolex Daytona
- TV Series – Orange is the new Black
- Food – Pasta Arrabbiata
- Book – Eckhart Tolle’s ‘The Power of Now’
- Shopping Destination – Galerie Half, Obsolete, Blackman Cruz, Lucca Antiques, and Hallworth Design
- Place – Los Angeles
- Source – Elle Décor
Ellen DeGeneres Quotes
Nothing says holidays, like a cheese log.
If we're destroying our trees and destroying our environment and hurting animals and hurting one another and all that stuff, there's got to be a very powerful energy to fight that. I think we need more love in the world. We need more kindness, more compassion, more joy, more laughter. I definitely want to contribute to that.
Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.
I am saddened by how people treat one another and how we are so shut off from one another and how we judge one another, when the truth is, we are all one connected thing. We are all from the same exact molecules.
I ask people why they have deer heads on their walls. They always say because it's such a beautiful animal. There you go. I think my mother is attractive, but I have photographs of her.
Ellen DeGeneres News
Facts about Ellen DeGeneres
- Ellen 2012, she won the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. "It's such an honor to receive the Mark Twain Prize. To get the same award that has been given to people like Bill Cosby, Tina Fey and Will Ferrell, it really makes me wonder... why didn't I get this sooner?"
- Ellen bought one of the ritziest homes in Los Angeles in January 2014 for $39,888,000, according to TMZ. It sits on 2.3 acres. The main house is 13,511 square feet with 6 bedrooms, 9 1/2 bathrooms. It has a pool, pool house, gym, spa, and tennis court.
- In 2008, she becomes a CoverGirl and is featured in a series of hilarious ads with fellow covergirl, Sofia Vergara.
- She is only the second woman to host the Oscars on her own. The first was Whoopi Goldberg.
- She started her own record label, eleveneleven in 2010 as an ode to her love for music.
- She and Portia De Rossi have been together since 2004. They married in August 2008 in their home in California. Ellen gave Portia a beautiful 3 carat diamond ring.
- Ellen set up a 'Hurricane Katrina' relief fund, that raised seven million dollars.
- She wrote The Funny Thing Is... in 2003 and then Seriously...I'm Kidding in 2011.
- In November 2011, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton named her a Special Envoy for Global AIDS Awareness
- In 2009, DeGeneres was named as the replacement for Paula Abdul as a judge on American Idol. She left the show after one season.