Facts about David Beckham
- David Beckham's net worth is $350 million.
- In February 2014, MLS announced Beckham and a group of investors would own an expansion team in Miami, which would begin play in 2016 or 2017. Some other endorsements include Armani, Diet Coke, Burger King and Samsung, which in 2012 earned him $27.7 million.
- By 2013, Beckham had become credited as England's wealthiest sportsman, reportedly earning more than $46 million annually.
- In May 2013, he announced plans to retire."I wouldn't have achieved what I have done today without my family. I'm grateful for my parents' sacrifice, which made me realize my dreams", Beckham said in a statement. "I owe everything to Victoria and the kids, who have given me the inspiration and support to play at the highest level for such a long period ...If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over 100 times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realized those dreams".
- Chinese authorities appointed Beckham as global ambassador for Chinese football in March 2013. After numerous officials had been banned for match-fixing, and the Chinese Super League had failed to retain the services of well-known international names, Beckham's role was to help improve the image of the game and raise its profile both in China and abroad.
- He has his own fragrance called Homme by David Beckham.
- Beckham's many H&M underwear ads have proven to be hit wonders, with some hitting millions of views in just one week. One the ads is directed by Guy Ritchie, and shows Beckham running around Beverly Hills clad only in underwear. Due to some scheduling conflicts, Beckham was not able to shoot all the scenes and a body double was used. Beckham enjoyed working on this ad, stating, "We wanted to make something different from the usual body wear commercial and have a bit of fun with it." As part of Beckham's marketing campaign with H&M, six 10-foot statues of the soccer star in his underwear were installed in New York City; others were installed in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Beckham is consistently ranked among the sport's highest earners, in 2013 he was listed as the best paid player in the world, earning over $50 million in the previous 12 months.
- Beckham's 115 appearances for England are the most for a player other a goalkeeper, and he was captain of the Three Lions from 2001-06. Beckham captained England 59 times,the fourth highest after Bobby Moore (90), Billy Wright (90) and Bryan Robson (65).
- Beckham, like many celebrities nowadays, is a tattoo fanatic. He has at least 20 tattoos in various places on his body. These include his wife, Victoria's name, written in Hindi, his son's names, Brooklyn Joseph, Romeo James and Cruz David, and his daughter Harper Seven's name, which is tattooed on his neck. Another tattoo is a Bible verse written in Hebrew. "Most of my tattoos are memories and things that mean things to me", he says.
- Beckham has supported UNICEF since his days at Manchester United and in January 2005, the English national team captain became a Goodwill Ambassador with a special focus on UNICEF's Sports for Development program.
- David Beckham is six-feet tall and weighs 163 lbs.
- Beckham makes a cameo appearance with Zinedine Zidane and Raúl, in the 2005 film Goal!: The Dream Begins. Beckham himself appears in the sequel Goal! 2: Living the Dream...
- Beckham's time at Manchester United ended in a horrible way when he was hit in the head with a shoe that manager Alex Ferguson had kicked in anger. Beckham left Old Trafford shortly after. He suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Everything has to be strictly organized and, if possible, in pairs.
- The couple have four children: sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz, and daughter Harper. Elton John is godfather to Brooklyn and Romeo Beckham; their godmother is Elizabeth Hurley.
- David Beckham surprised his wife Victoria with an outrageous gift, her own winery in Napa. Both the lovebirds have a passion for wine and Beckham was more than happy to pay a significant amount for the gift. The winery is only open to close friends and family.
- By the time he was healed and ready to play, it seemed like it was already too late. Despite scoring a goal and assisting his American teammate Landon Donovan, the Galaxy failed to qualify for the end of season playoffs.
- Tom Cruise hosted a "Welcome to L.A." party for the couple after Beckham joined the Galaxy in 2007.
- Within 48 hours of David Beckham signing with the team, the Galaxy sold more than 5,000 season tickets.
- David and Victoria purchased a home in Beverly Hills for $22 million. Their neighbors include Jay Leno and Tom Cruise.
David Beckham News
David Beckham cuts handsome figure in trench coat as he's joined by Noel Gallagher, Dave Gardner and Liv Tyler at fashion launch
'Has anyone made David disappear yet?': Victoria Beckham begs David Blaine to make husband vanish in a puff of smoke on TV special
David and Victoria Beckham enjoy a romantic date night out as they head to one of London's top luxury hotels