David Beckham – An Elite Global Brand
David Beckham is considered as an international brand name in the world. His name is increasingly common with people all over the world because of not only his contribution to football but also a wide range of other fields such as charity or fashion.
When it comes to king sport, people are likely to remember his name as one of the most well-known athletes with the talent and appearance. David Beckham was born in England in 1975, and he was brought up by his parents who were the huge fans of Manchester United. He attended Bobby Charlton’s football school in Manchester when he was a child, which allowed him to develop his own football career in Manchester for many years. During the time of playing for Manchester United from 1993 – 2003, he played midfield and totally became a real living legend with his number seven shirt. This shirt always put its owners under pressure when they come and play for Manchester United with a huge level of expectation due to its achievement from some previous players. Although Beckham made a great successful career in M.U with famous number seven shirt, he also said that “It was never my shirt. It was George Best’s, Bryan Robson’s, Eric Cantona’s. The only reason I wanted to wear the No.7 shirt was because of these players”. Some believes the special No.7 shirt always comes with its pressure: however, Beckham confirmed that: “I don’t think personally that it comes with any pressure. It always was an inspiration for me”. His career associated with number seven shirt, which provided him with more motivation and effort to become the best player of the world.
Beckham is known as one of the world’s greatest living players with his range of passing, crossing ability and bending free-kicks. He was twice ranked second as a best player of FIFA World player of the Year in 2004. After 10 years contributing for Man U, Beckham joined Real Madrid in June, 2004 and this made him become a highest-paid football player in the world at that time. Although he had a successful professional career with Manchester United, he also had a difficult time with his manager after his poor performance during an FA Cup defeat by Arsenal in 2003. What actually happened between Beckham and his former manager of Manchester United in the dressing room after an incident of “the flying boot”? Until now, it is still the most thrilling and mysterious story of Sir Alex Ferguson’s reign in Manchester United that every football lovers wanted to know about. Sir Alex says David Beckham had to leave Manchester United because Beckham thought he was “bigger than the manager”. Sir Alex has revealed the reason why he kicked a boot toward Beckham. He related that “Beckham was around 12 feet from me, between us on the floor lay a row of boots. David swore. I moved towards him, and as I approached I kicked a boot. It hit him right above the eye. Of course, he rose to have go at me and the players stopped him. “Sit down” I said “You’ve let your team down. You can argue as much as you like.” After that, Beckham moved to Real Madrid in 2004 and kept developing his career. In spite of the fact that Beckham contradicted his manager – Sir Alex Ferguson at that time, he has already forgotten the flying boot, and he says Sir Alex was like a “father figure” to him during his time at M.U football Club.
David Beckham is supposed to be one of the celebrities in many parts of the world, especially, in the world of fashion. Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex says in his autobiography “David was the only player I managed who chose to be famous.” Beckham after that married to Victoria Adams who has been famous as a member of Spice Girls, which allows Beckham to extend his fame beyond the pitch. Brand name David Beckham has been already appeared on a wide range of magazine’s covers. One of his quotes to express his fame is: “I have come to accept that if I have a new haircut it is front page news. But having a picture of my foot on the front page of a national newspaper is a bit exceptional.” He also puts his influence on a variety of potential fields such as clothing designers, health and fitness specialists, perfume, hair stylists, cosmetics manufacturers and fashion magazines. This brings the Beckham’s with a great amount of money. Furthermore, David Beckham won the award of the sexiest man alive in 2015 declared by American celebrity publication People magazine. The former football star was revealed as a winner on Jimmy Kimmel’s talk show. Before this, the host of this program made his audience guess the winner of this year and a huge number of people were divined that Beckham would be suitable ones. After that, the identity of the 40 years old retire football legend was unveiled with the congratulation of many others. Although he was very surprised to receive this award, he also spoke to People magazine that: “It’s a huge honor, and I’m very pleased to accept. I never feel that I’m an attractive, sexy person. I mean I like to wear nice clothes and nice suits and look and feel good, but I don’t ever think of myself that way.” It is easy to understand that his fame, his appearance and his influence on many other fields making him become a model man of public – a sexiest man alive.
David Beckham is always one of the most successful men in the world not only because of his great talent in football but also his fame beyond the pitch. The name “David Beckham” will be far more famous in the future in all over the world.
David Robert Joseph Beckham
Dave, Becks, Golden Balls, DB, DB7
David attended Chase Lane Primary School and Chingford Foundation School.
Former soccer player
- Father – David Edward Alan “Ted” Beckham (Kitchen Fitter)
- Mother – Sandra Georgina (née West) (Hairdresser)
- Siblings – Lynne Georgina Beckham (Sister), Joanne Louise Beckham (Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
David Beckham dated –
- Victoria Beckham (1997-Present) – David first met English fashion designer, Victoria Adams in 1997 during a Manchester United football match. They started dating soon and engaged on 24 January, 1998 when he proposed her in a restaurant in Cheshunt, England. The couple is called as “Posh and Becks” by the media. On July 4, 1999, the duo married at Luttrellstown Castle in Ireland. The couple has 4 children – Brooklyn Joseph (b. 4 March, 1999), Romeo James (b. 1 September, 2002), Cruz David (b. 20 February, 2005), Harper Seven (b. 10 July, 2011).
- Sarah Marbeck (2001) – Australian model had claimed that she had slept with David on two occasions in 2001.
- Celina Laurie (2002) – Celine also claimed that she slept with Beckham on 7 August, 2002 in Denmark.
- Esther Cañadas (2003) – Spanish actress had fling with David in 2003.
- Rebecca Loos (2004) – Beckham’s former personal assistant, Rebecca Loos reported that she and David had extramarital affair.
Race / Ethnicity
- Wears number 7 shirt for Manchester United and England.
- Wears number 23 shirt for Real Madrid and Los Angeles Galaxy.
Adidas (1997), Pepsi spokesperson (2005), Gillette, Jaguar (2014)
He considers himself as half Jewish and half Christian. His maternal grandfather was Jewish.
Best Known For
Playing football for his country England.
- Deadliest free kick taker
- Can put the ball wherever he wants
- Lack of pace
- Hot-headed temperament
He has not personally appeared in the 2002 film Bend It Like Beckham but did appear in the archive footage. He and his wife wanted to make cameo appearance but the scheduling made it difficult. Andy Harmer, a lookalike was used by the film director.
First TV Show
His first television appearance was via TFI Friday in 2000 for his role as himself in an episode dated 22 December, 2000.
Beckham is one of the fittest man on this earth and as he competes at the world class level, his workout is grueling. The fitness coach of Los Angeles Galaxy, Chris Neville shared a workout routine with Men’s Health that you can use to look like him as well.
His 5 Week exercise regimen is just below –
Intensity – 85% MHR (MHR stands for Maximum Heart Rate)
Rest – 4 minutes
Sets – 3
Intensity – 90% MHR
Rest – 2 minutes
Sets – 7
Intensity – 95% MHR
Rest – 1 minute
Sets – 15
60-yard turnarounds (sprint 60 yards, turn around, and sprint back)
Intensity – 20 seconds total per out-and-back sprint
Rest – 1 minute
Sets – 8 to 10
Intensity – As hard as possible
Rest – 10 seconds
Sets – 8 to 10
David Beckham Favorite Things
- Restaurant – Pie and Mash
David Beckham Quotes
When you have kids you do grow up. I have just started realising it now-it changes the world, having children.
As a footballer, you always want to test yourself against the best.
Soccer is a magical game.
We stay as a team. I might be England captain, but that doesn't mean I get treated differently.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
David Beckham News
David Beckham cuts handsome figure in trench coat as he's joined by Noel Gallagher, Dave Gardner and Liv Tyler at fashion launch
Facts about David Beckham
- David Beckham's net worth is $350 million.
- In February 2014, MLS announced Beckham and a group of investors would own an expansion team in Miami, which would begin play in 2016 or 2017. Some other endorsements include Armani, Diet Coke, Burger King and Samsung, which in 2012 earned him $27.7 million.
- By 2013, Beckham had become credited as England's wealthiest sportsman, reportedly earning more than $46 million annually.
- In May 2013, he announced plans to retire."I wouldn't have achieved what I have done today without my family. I'm grateful for my parents' sacrifice, which made me realize my dreams", Beckham said in a statement. "I owe everything to Victoria and the kids, who have given me the inspiration and support to play at the highest level for such a long period ...If you had told me as a young boy I would have played for and won trophies with my boyhood club Manchester United, proudly captained and played for my country over 100 times and lined up for some of the biggest clubs in the world, I would have told you it was a fantasy. I'm fortunate to have realized those dreams".
- Chinese authorities appointed Beckham as global ambassador for Chinese football in March 2013. After numerous officials had been banned for match-fixing, and the Chinese Super League had failed to retain the services of well-known international names, Beckham's role was to help improve the image of the game and raise its profile both in China and abroad.
- He has his own fragrance called Homme by David Beckham.
- Beckham's many H&M underwear ads have proven to be hit wonders, with some hitting millions of views in just one week. One the ads is directed by Guy Ritchie, and shows Beckham running around Beverly Hills clad only in underwear. Due to some scheduling conflicts, Beckham was not able to shoot all the scenes and a body double was used. Beckham enjoyed working on this ad, stating, "We wanted to make something different from the usual body wear commercial and have a bit of fun with it." As part of Beckham's marketing campaign with H&M, six 10-foot statues of the soccer star in his underwear were installed in New York City; others were installed in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Beckham is consistently ranked among the sport's highest earners, in 2013 he was listed as the best paid player in the world, earning over $50 million in the previous 12 months.
- Beckham's 115 appearances for England are the most for a player other a goalkeeper, and he was captain of the Three Lions from 2001-06. Beckham captained England 59 times,the fourth highest after Bobby Moore (90), Billy Wright (90) and Bryan Robson (65).
- Beckham, like many celebrities nowadays, is a tattoo fanatic. He has at least 20 tattoos in various places on his body. These include his wife, Victoria's name, written in Hindi, his son's names, Brooklyn Joseph, Romeo James and Cruz David, and his daughter Harper Seven's name, which is tattooed on his neck. Another tattoo is a Bible verse written in Hebrew. "Most of my tattoos are memories and things that mean things to me", he says.